Eric,

By way of example, philosophy appears to show up big time in quantum mechanics. Some interpretations consider the use of probability distributions (i.e. the wave function of a particle) in QM to be the state of the particle that "an observer sees". This it treats as epistemology (knowing). On the other hand, when a measurement is taken in order to detect the current state of the particle (and the wave function "collapses"), this is apparently treated as ontology (actual being). Some of these QM interpretations (Copenhagen?) seem to take pains in distinguishing between the "ontic" and the "epistemic" in this regard.

I'm not a physicist, so I'm only reporting what I read in certain QM books and articles.

Maybe someone else can weigh in on whether this is a case of philosophy being a significant consideration in physics.

Grant