The article lays the blame at ACK packets...

“”"
So how do Netflix customers send so much data today? The answer is mostly in
“ACK packets,” Deeth said. Signifying “acknowledgement” that data has been
received, ACK packets are part of the TCP’s (Transmission Control Protocol’s)
three-way handshake that connects client devices to servers over the Internet.
The third step of the process has the client (i.e. a Netflix subscriber)
sending acknowledgement back to Netflix’s servers.

These ACK packets are so numerous that they can sometimes interfere with
downloads. Internet service plans with upload speeds that are much smaller than
download speeds exacerbate this problem, Sandvine wrote in its fall 2011 report.

“If upstream is so heavily utilized that ACKs fail to reach the sender, then
TCP responds by backing off its sending rate, which to the subscriber means
reduced downstream speeds and will ultimately manifest as a downgrade in video
quality,” Sandvine wrote.
“”"