We have at hand Bee's essay on phenomenology in physics. The essay might be summarized by considering coherency as a sufficient argument for a scientific theory. Going further and suggesting that non-scientific theories are not worthy of personal or public support is a separate proposal, and one I cannot support. Whether those are ought to be supported by public monies is a separate issue.

However, the essay was about what might qualify as a 'good' theory in the context of scientific enquiry. The substance is that gaining coherence by incrementally reducing the accessibility of observables, if not their number, was not a path to a better science theory, insofar as science depended on the testability of axioms within a more-or-less coherent theory. In other words, there's emphatically no science gain in making fewer axioms more coherent at the expense of testability. Coherence does not automatically imply scientific validity, for the number of less-testable coherent theories is large. However, such coherence might be interesting or valuable by other less-phenomenological criteria.

Which brings us to the theism diagnosis problem. It seems to me that one could devise various tests for coherence (e.g. smoothness of some class of topological transformations), or, hey some behavior makes sense in some evolutionary context. So, in this sense the coherence is testable, and may even be said to posses a certain artistic, religious or mathematical beauty, even if that doesn't move the science along.

I would class theism as one class of arguments about coherence and identity that may fall on some non-scientific value spectrum (not very high, I don't think). Most certainly *not* about testability in the phenomenological sense that the essay addresses. The a-theist or non-theist is not disbelieving, or buying into the sucker-punch question 'why don't you believe'; their attention is simply elsewhere.

C.