Gary writes:

"[..] the bigger issue is whether running my software on a users’ computer, for
my benefit, and without that user’s knowledge and consent, amounts to stealing.
"

Advertisements waste bandwidth, and JavaScript in advertisements or animated
GIFs are in some sense stealing CPU cycles.  This was supposed to be
alternative to advertisements.   I can understand why it would infuriate MIT,
given these kids hacked out this impressive capability in 2 days, and their
reward for their efforts is to get this incoherent subpoena.     In the URL
below, they don't exactly strike me as hardened criminals..

http://nodeknockout.com/teams/shoop-team

Marcus