Interesting point on Greece recently, via Italian language podcast (La
Radio Ne Parla, RAI 1).

Italians flock to Greece for vacations. The east coast of Italy (Ancona
area) has lots of ferries to get there. A weird problem popped up: the cash
economy (which Italy shares).

The banks have been limiting the amount of withdrawals.  Apparently this
includes ATMs. But travelers have to be able to get a fairly large amount
of money out daily. So Greek retailers and restaurants are now accepting
credit/debit cards.

Thus the VAT, which is huge, is now easily collected if cards are used.

Another side effect: because its a cash economy, robbery is apparently
rising. Any tourist is likely to have several hundred euros.

I really think Greece should stick with their "no" vote and simply stay in
the EU, not EuroZone.

   -- Owen