Nick,

I downloaded Nick Lane's Vital Question book a couple months back. From a
quick skim I got the sense it was a nice review of much of the work going
on around non-equilibrium thermodynamic origin of life explanations by the
"Seventh Day Ventists" (eg second law arguments for the emegence of life
via gradient dissipation around deep sea vents). In addition to reviewing
this work, Dr. Lane has original contributions as well. I would recommend
it for anyone as a great introduction.

In fact our own Eric Smith and Harold Morowitz (who just passed last month)
work is mentioned in Vital Question. You might check out Eric's recent talk
at the Aspen Institute (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cwvj0XBKlE) which
addresses a couple questions that came up at FRIAM yesterday.

In particular, I think the talk much more elegantly describes the shift to
defining life as an ecological pattern from the prior emphasis on the
individual organism.

on "are viruses alive" Eric challenges the meaning of a "living thing"
https://youtu.be/0cwvj0XBKlE?t=48m21s

Also Eric's SFI public lecture from a few years back is very relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElMqwgkXguw

stephen.gue...@simtable.com <stephen.gue...@simtable.com>
CEO, Simtable  http://www.simtable.com
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828
twitter: @simtable