I am fascinated by this general area of consideration... the struggle between individual and collective. This study doesn't seem to tell us much we didn't already know... for example, that it is easy to craft a flawed experiment where what you thought you were optimizing (metabolic egg production) is only part of the story and a secondary trait (aggression) was being selected for unintentionally. Any of us who have lived or worked in a "collective" environment (or read a Dilbert Cartoon?) have experienced this.

I was *once* a raging individualist/Libertarian who wanted to believe that the prime unit of survival was the individual, followed by the nuclear family, followed by the clan, etc.! As I have aged, two things have overcome some of that: 1) I'm getting old and in (more) need of the support of others, there are fewer and fewer things I can (or want to?) do for myself (alone); 2) I've lived a life where I've experienced a range of ways of being and I see how happy some people are *because* they are part of a healthy collective (not as i had imagined in the past, *in spite of* it!)

This is naturally pretty anecdotal and roughly a sample of one, but since it is *my* experience, I believe in it's relevance and veracity. While we might have a wide spread of natures, experiences and conditions on this list, I would propose that many here have a bit of both tendencies... high enough, individualistic abilities and interests to become technologists (or choose the technological realm to conduct your work), but also enough social skills/tolerance/preference to function within one kind of institution or another. We all have our stereotypes about academia or government or industry to judge that one kind of institution or the other is "better" or "worse" than the others about this, but my experience is that they are more similar than different by most measures.

I raised my daughters to have a strong element of my individuality/loner mentality and I feel (because I'm a doting father) that for the most part I succeeded. I also gave them enough exposure (acute example: Public School System) to "systems" that would demand out of and train them for a certain amount of compliance. I didn't do this because I was afraid they would fail or starve if they weren't socialized, I did it because despite some of my own feral tendencies, I believe that we are herd/pack/tribe animals and for the most part ARE happier in one kind of milieu or another. One is a PhD Virologist who is well ensconced in the systems of bioresearch in the US (often to her chagrin) but has the individualism to pursue grants on her own, to work long hours on hard problems virtually nobody else can even talk to her about ,etc. The other has broken out of a string of administrative assistant jobs over 1.5 decades to start her own cross-fit gym and paleo-nutrition consultancy. This requires equal amounts of individual ability/motivation and herd instinct (else she wouldn't have adopted the CrossFit(tm) brand and the Paleo appelation)...

I now only work in *very* small teams, roughly 1-3, and usually where I am either in charge of the work scope/strategy or I am the eager support for a singular individual whose abilities I signficantly defer to. At LANL, I lead teams up to 6-8 in contexts of up to 30 or more on the same larger "project" and it was always a stressor for me. I didn't enjoy deciding "what is best" for that many other people, even when their instincts/affect and the organizational model entirely supported me in that. So my tenure in those roles was usually limited and always self-terminated when I got too mired in those feelings (3-7 years).

I deeply appreciate those who are good "outliers" on this spectrum... those individualists who really can "pull it off" every time... the protaganists of Robert A. Heinlein's novels, etc. And on the other end, I really respect those who manage to put themselves almost entirely subservient to a system and yet maintain significant personal volition and creativity. If I could live my life again, with what I know, I would probably attempt to apprehend that full spectrum and find ways to engage all the way across it throughout my life.

It might seem like a total non-sequitor, but I just listened to Terry Gross interview Leonard Cohen about his new album: "You Want it Darker" and his experience of living as a Monk in a Zen Monastery for years. I think the example he represents in the extrema of writing his own poems/songs quite uniquely and seemingly in isolation to mixing it up both "on Boogie Street" as one song references, but also in the Monastery.

Mumble, Ramble off