Heh, it amuses and frustrates me the pressure to publish when one could instead
do something useful like develop and share code.   Those "mental models"
scribbled down on paper obviously have less value than tools to solve the
general problem (i.e. working through all the boring but necessary cases to
make it all computable), both as formalisms and from a utilitarian point of
view.   Nonetheless, I hear all the time from theory types that they "have it
in their head and just have to write it down".    Some of them I believe.
Others are just involved in collective performance art in the hopes of pushing
their citation count higher.  Hmm, I seem to be down on academics today.