"But (I think) they use it as an immediate proxy for the real objects.  So,
their defn of coherence wouldn't change.  My focus isn't so much on whether
their calculation actually works as intended.  Just that it is a more formal
concept than Nick's "objects that interact more with themselves than others".

In this example, the discussion was more about the composition of functional
relationships (ion transport, DNA repair) and their consequences than it is
about objects.

My concern isn't that a calculation work as intended, it is that the desire for
formalism could be in opposition to quantitative prediction.   If your goal is
to weed out intellectual disability, it might be better to use a statistical
model method based on higher dimensional data (e.g. comparing raw sequences),
than one that invokes biological concepts.

Marcus