Because, as Steve rightly pointed out with that Joslyn paper, the point is the
extent to which the system submits to ordering.  A strict hierarchy (levels,
like I think EricS drew) submits to a total order, whereas a brranching
hierarchy (still levels) submits to a partial order.  Graphs work, but not as
analogy, per se ... more like exact representations.  The kinds of graphs I'd
like to talk about don't (necessarily) submit to ordering, even partial
ordering. (no levels) It would be more complete to say that any "ordering"
would be more complicated than simple relations like ≥ or ≤.

--
␦glen?