Roger writes:

“This brought me to the idea that our primary form of social interaction is gas
lighting each other.  Not in the sense that we are trying to drive each other
crazy by hiding evidence of the truth, but because we are continually trying to
persuade each other of truths.”

We hear complaints here periodically about how annoying it is that people are
`pithy’.  First of all, let’s separate situations in which autonomy is desired
and attention is scarce, from willing participation in a discussion.   In the
first circumstance, being pithy is a way of communicating “Please leave me the
f*** alone.”, or  I have no time (or limited time) for this.”   It is
deliberately to flow-regulate communication bandwidth because the utility seems
to be low.

Then there is are situations as in this article, in which it is hard to exhibit
skepticism because it is posed as horrible -- a dystopian misogynistic insight
into the male brain that cannot be qualified or deconstructed.   The Trump
Access Hollywood tape was similar because it was put out as if it was
sufficient evidence and not just evidence – to me it was more the campaign’s
immediate absence of shame or regret that made it clear it was true this is how
he thinks, and of course evidence from other women that came later.   He used
it to consolidate consensus amongst his ranks by normalizing it, which is
shocking in how well that worked.

I think women are often thought to be the usual victims of gas lighting, but I
would say the reverse happens under the guise of  hypothetical or anecdotal
male motivations like in the article.   (As opposed to childish nervous humor
that can arise in awkward or overwhelming situations.)   Is it surprising that
some men are accused “You are bad, despicable, untrustworthy and mean”, that
they just don’t respond very well?   There’s an appropriate amount of
accusation, and it needs to be followed by consideration of counter-argument.
(In this case, say, the possibility that husband had real terror over the
degree of an apparent injury.)   When that back and forth doesn’t happen, then
people just start gas lighting one another, and divisions deepen.

This also reminds me of the objection to safe spaces at universities and the
(supposed) danger of protecting snowflakes who should protect themselves by
engaging in argument.  But in that situation the real question is who has the
power and whether it is being used to intimidate.   If there are minority
groups of people that have no way to speak without being ganged-up on and
humiliated, yes, they do deserve protection by university policy, or at least
some edgy bodyguards.   But if they are just white guys spouting far-right
garbage in a conservative, white-dominated community, no they do not need
protection by policy.  They are already safe.

I spent much time as young person hanging out in the university park blocks
going after the Christian apologists.  But they were the ones gas lighting the
passers-by.   Being an anti- gas lighter – a demolisher of belief -- is not
being a gas lighter.   The complement of the gas-lighted message and it is a
bigger, freer space, not a manipulation of innocents.

Marcus