Although the sophist- ... icated tangent into groupthink and goodness of
thought might be interesting, it's politically bankrupt, as is any sort of
philosophical skepticism.

The problem is what to *do*, if anything.  I think Carl's post targets this
most directly.  It seems to me our policy options are: 1) do nothing, 2) do
something, 2a) treat the symptoms, and 2b) *attempt* to treat causes.  Doing
nothing is just as much an action as doing something.  And if we choose to do
nothing, then the we are still responsible for the consequences of missed
opportunities to act.

Most people who agree that the climate is changing, regardless of the causes,
also agree that it is the *poor* who will suffer.  Even in cities like Miami,
the wealthy will be able to lose their homes, businesses, and local economy and
simply move or retrain or retire, or whatever.  Similarly, in places like
Syria, what's left of the privileged will be able to further exploit or move.
The rest will risk their lives trying to migrate.  It seems rather obvious that
we have already agreed to actions of type (2a), even if the choice of actions
(idiot Trump egging on Pakistan vs. many local churches in the US still willing
to take in more refugees) isn't a consensus.

So, the question boils down to whether or not we engage (2b).  If a skeptical
claim is that we simply don't know enough to act at all, then it's a reasonable
point and that ignorance can be remedied by (2b) actions like education and
research.  If, however, we admit that we *do* know some things that *might*
help, then we have to engage in the RoI analysis to decide which (2b) actions
to take.  I.e. regardless of the other option, (2b) ensues.  Option (1) begins
to look pretty silly.

If the skeptical claim is used as sleight-of-hand to game the system into doing
nothing, then it's no longer merely skepticism.  It's an existential threat to
be dealt with as soon as possible and as harshly as possible.  And *that* is
why most believers treat skeptics like narcissistic, exploitative, gamers ...
because the reasoning seems to lead inexorably to the 2 options: a skeptic is
either an advocate for more research and education *or* a scheming profiteer,
regardless of whether climate change is human-caused or not.

Therefore, it seems reasonable for the (authentic) skeptic to apply herself to
(2b).  Here is another resource that might be useful:

   https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/

--
☣ uǝlƃ