Glen writes:

“Well, I'm not much of a sports oriented person.  But sometimes they're useful.”

Certainly, sports metaphors are useful to understand tribalism, because sports
are tribal activity.
I’m reminded of visiting a company in Austin to discuss a project of mutual
interest.  I didn’t realize I was being pre-interviewed (or whatever that is
called) and didn’t even intend to give those signals. Our discussion was going
along fine and then they brought up football.   I have never watched football
and don’t understand its appeal.  When they understood this several of them
visibly recoiled.    My take is that they wanted someone that would project
into their (lower dimensional) tribal space in a seamless way.   It was an
important part of how they got along.

You alluded to collective measures of fitness.   A progressive’s measure of
fitness is not unlike Shannon entropy – let a thousand flowers bloom.   A
conservative, however, fears that entropy will be too costly and that people
will forget previous fit strategies.   In principle, maximizing entropy could
push out cultural norms since that is copied information.  Imagine a finite
length bit string representing a program where skills related to football were
sacrificed for skills related to curling or dancing (or more esoteric topics).
If you think that the available bit string is short, that then one might worry
about locally (or universally) promoting the `right’ cultural information in
order for people to get along.

Marcus