Nick,

Many years ago I asked this question of an IT person in Austin (little
different, about distributed objects), and he pointed me at this book, which I
dutifully got and read:

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Distributed-Objects-Survival-Guide/dp/0471129933

<https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Distributed-Objects-Survival-Guide/dp/0471129933>

This must be, what, 1995?

It’s also kind of a juvenile style, and doesn’t go very far, but somebody made
the effort to write down a systematic narrative.

All best,

Eric