From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Eric Smith
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:17 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] What is an object?

Nick, how could you!

(about to get myself in trouble again for thinking I remember something that is
probably wrong)

> Here’s another story.  Years ago my 1970’s era Troy Bilt tiller began to fail
> and I took it to a Guy.  The Guy said, yes I can rebuild your engine, pretty
> much like new.  It will cost you around $400.  OR, he said, I can bolt a new
> Briggs and Stratton engine on there for 150 dollars.  So, of course, I went
> for the new engine.  When I got my tiller back, it worked beautifully, but it
> looked weird.  The engine was a funny shape, the color was all wrong, but it
> had all the connectors it needed, it responded to all the levers, and it did
> the job.  Evidently, tiller functioning supervenes upon engine construction.

I thought Troy Built tillers all came with Tecumseh engines, those big, slow,
torquey things that I never saw on anything else.  Briggs and Stratton were for
lawnmowers.  That almost seems as bad as (I am told) the generational shift
when International Harvester began putting _truck engines_ in their tractors, a
kind of betrayal that gets my farmer colleagues all red and hyperventilated.
They say that was the end of the brand.

I know that does not contribute to this thread.

Eric