I agree.  It reminds me of a conversation I was just having with a friend who
floated the idea that Alzheimer's, in stripping away many of our mental
functions, could be considered at least partly a good thing.  My response was
that for all the Alzheimer's patients I've had the opportunity to know (a
handful personally, maybe 10 peripherally), it's been horrible to every one of
them.  Subsequent conversations with Renee' revealed that her colleagues bin
them into 2 groups, the happy ones and the angry ones.  So, perhaps the former
are just fine with losing all those functions, maybe freeing them up to exist
in a happy, simpler state.

The same would be true of any (treatable) condition, including PTSD.
Ultimately, the decision to interfere/manipulate one's trajectory through the
world depends on one's conservatism and openness to new experiences. But a
fundamental flaw in individualist thought is that the decision lies solely with
that one person.  Because people are at least partly socially constructed (I am
who I am because of the roles I play in society.), such decisions are made by
the whole system.  And if a PTSD sufferer has become dysfunctional in his
social fabric, then that fabric makes the decision whether to treat/manipulate
his trajectory.

More complicated conditions might be narcissism, bipolar disorder, or
Asperger's where the person is quixotic but not (really) dysfunctional and has
grown into that person *with* that condition over a long haul (as opposed to a
more acute event).  In those situations, I'd lean more toward your latter
dilemma between continuing to hone the one personality or explore some
alternatives.

--
∄ uǝʃƃ