Glen writes:

< I interviewed one of his mentors there and, although the model *seems* good,
they're similarly plagued with the grant-writing burden Eric(S) and Pamela
mention.  The same seems similar at a company, here called Galois. >

That's my impression of Galois as well, that they do a lot of job-by-job things
(SBIR funding), and don't have investors with a long-term vision.
At LANL, there's a split between people that have long-term core program work
(there are no real issues with getting funding, but the work is not inspiring
and sometimes doesn't even make sense), the science community (full time
grant-writing, where some players are much more equal than others), and what I
would call forward-looking programs (hustle and fight for territory -- it is
almost like start-up).    But it is hard to have much hope for a complex that
is run by a person (Rick Perry) that ran a campaign on the premise of shutting
it down.

Especially in the Trump era, I think private research is the place to be.
Preferably for a company that has multi-national investors.

Marcus