Turing machines can perform an algorithm like an auto-encoding deep neural net,
where a picture of a tree could be categorized as a tree in some internal node.
 Likewise activating that internal node might generate an image of a tree (when
the Turing machine dreams).

From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> on behalf of Frank Wimberly
<wimber...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, April 26, 2019 at 8:19 PM
To: "russ.abb...@gmail.com" <russ.abb...@gmail.com>, The Friday Morning Applied
Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] A question for tomorrow

On the way to Friam I said to Nick.  Turing Machines don't know anything.  They
may store representations of knowledge.  I further said that a photograph also
represents knowledge.  For example, the number of floors of a given building.
Most people would be puzzled by the question, "What does a photo know?"

There were multiple parallel conversations after we arrived.  I don't recall
additional discussions about what Turing Machines know.
Frank Wimberly

My memoir:
https://www.amazon.com/author/frankwimberly

My scientific publications:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Frank_Wimberly2

Phone (505) 670-9918

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 8:06 PM Russ Abbott