There was a nice piece in the news the other day about this armillary sphere
which seems like a very beautiful scientific artwork at St Johns.
https://www.usnews.com/news/news/articles/2019-12-31/new-devise-in-new-mexico-turns-back-clock-on-astronomy

<https://www.usnews.com/news/news/articles/2019-12-31/new-devise-in-new-mexico-turns-back-clock-on-astronomy>
I’d very much like to pay a visit and see this device, which, while it doesn’t
contribute much scientifically to the astronomical community, it’s one heck of
an artistic and historical project. I love the aesthetics of armillary spheres,
and the visionary role they’ve played for so long, showing us our place in the
heavens.

I have a pet art project in mind called the “Galactic Observatory” that builds
off this tradition, which is a galactic pointer that rotates slowly with the
earth’s turning to constantly point at the center of the Milky Way galaxy,
allowing us to orient ourselves to a larger scale. It’s the logical evolution
from the geocentric to the heliocentric to the galactocentric reference frame.
It was only just over 100 years ago that we discovered where we sit in the
Milky Way, and hey, we’re not in the center of it all (and a good thing we’re
not, too!)
I would love to meet the folks responsible for creating the St John’s armillary
sphere; maybe they’ll have an interest in helping see a next generation modern
updated astronomical sculpture come to life too...

-Jonathan Wolfe, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Fractal Foundation
Support our mission today and share the beauty of fractals:
http://store.fractalfoundation.org <https://fractalfoundation.org/>
Next First Friday Fractals shows: Friday January 3
Fractals are SMART: Science, Math & Art!
+1.505.489.3393