Jon,

The "artifact" — a couple of hundred lines of code executing on a smartphone —
can be engineered. No question.

The "app" however is the artifact deployed in a context; a context that
includes human beings.

The app+context is a complex system and you cannot "engineer" that system. You
will not be able to anticipate all, or even most, of the ways that things will
go wrong once your quality engineered artifact is deployed. You will not be
able to anticipate and account for how something as simple as a "Facebook-like
button" will be perceived by different users of the app, many of whom have
never seen Facebook or its buttons.

Moreover, since you are introducing your artifact into a complex system, it
will change the system. For example: the app requires you to enter a number in
a field. A paper form requires you to enter a number in a field. Same thing
—right? No!
Paper provides all kinds of affordances that the app will not: erasures,
modifications with initials, etc. You cannot know what many of these
affordances are and you certainly cannot engineer them into your artifact.

Even more interesting and perplexing, the app embodied a system change that was
never evaluated: how voters will behave when they know that their sequence of
actions are being reported, not just their final act. Will the behavior change"
Yes! Did Shadow have any concept of how or why, or did the DNC when it created
the specs for the app? No!

And did the design of the app take into account intentional bad actors? Sure,
it had two-factor authentication (which more than half the users did not
understand how to make work), but would the same trolls that jammed the phone
lines to headquarters have affect the ability of the app to submit results?
Probably not literally, but a DNS attack probably would have; not to mention
all kinds of spoofing possibilities.)

Arguing that a *"critical application voting app belongs to the class of
impossible tasks" *the way that I am supports the heart, I think, of your
concern about the rhetoric of failure, but at a different level.

Rhetoric about a data breach at Target does not legitimize Target — it
legitimizes the institution of "credit" and institutions like credit reporting
agencies. Beyond that, the institution of social security numbers.

Rhetoric about Boeing 737 legitimizes, not an institution but a conviction —
that artificial intelligence is superior to human, that autopilots are more
trustworthy than human pilots.

I completely agree with you that, as a culture and society, we are totally in
thrall, Stockholm Syndrome-like, to the "newly minted" and the impossibility of
doing anything different.

I suspect that my perspective with regard the rhetoric, its use, and its
targets are far more expansive that the concern you have articulated in this
instance.

davew