... being reasonable is a bad thing?

Nick's entreatment here [1], this article [2], Dave's assurances here [3], rule
#5 here [4], the hidden spoiler effect criticism of ranked-choice voting [5],
counterintuitive irrationality from appeals to rationality like [6], [7] and
[8], etc.

Appeals to "enlightenment" seem flawed. You can't have a reasonable discussion
with a bad faith actor. I experienced this personally when my very friendly
Christianity-on-his-sleeve neighbor would consistently engage me in
conversation, and insist he felt love and had empathy for everyone. But when
the topic came up of the billboards the Freedom from Religion foundation put up
across Portland, he literally *spat* the word "atheist". The way he said the
word and the context of the sentence in which he used it were dripping with
hatred. I immediately stopped him and asked why he said it that way, with such
hatred. He had no idea what I was talking about. After like 30 minutes more of
talking about it, forcing him to use the word over and over again, telling him
again and again that while I don't call myself that, a *lot* of my *friends* do
call themselves that. And if he really hates atheists, then he also hates me.
Etc. He finally admitted that maybe, deep down, he does hate atheists because
God hates them. Therefore it's proper to hate them. I felt like I should take a
shower after that conversation.

Is being reasonable the right thing? If it doesn't work with my neighbor, after
hours in several open conversations, who *could* it work with? If Bitecofer is
right, and people who claim to be independent might actually be
crypto-partisans, people who wear the masks of "enlightenment" and
"rationality" might actually be crypto-tribalists, then what's the point of
being reasonable or "utilitarian". We should all hoist the Jolly Roger and
begin slitting throats.

Maybe we need the obligatory "complex adaptive system" rhetoric to argue that
the feedback loop in which reasonableness has a lower rate than, say, a human
lifetime? The reasonableness we display over, if we're lucky, 80 years of life
only shows *effect* after, say, 150 years ... or 300 years? All those stories
of brilliant, sensitive people who fought the reasonableness fight over their
lives and die insane or by their own hand might be victims of a cause-effect
rate mismatch? Or perhaps there's a transfinite game theoretic explanation
where populations of partisans co-evolve with populations of the swayable
reasonable but the cycles are invisible to the history-impaired ... or the
system-impaired (those who can't think in terms of collectives)?

I suppose my agnosticism reigns and I have a moral imperative to be reasonable
when the use case calls for it and slit throats when the use case calls for
that. But I definitely need better metrics to summon the right tactic at the
right time.

[1]
http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/Trumps-motives-not-judiciable-because-they-are-in-his-head-tp7594411p7594416.html

[2] New research may explain the weakness of centrism and the religious left
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/new-research-may-explain-the-weakness-of-centrism-and-the-religious-left/

[3]
http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/Up-and-Out-vs-Down-and-in-tp7594452p7594453.html

[4] Autocracy: Rules for Survival