Re: the *need* to reduce -- This post comes to mind:

Richard Dawkins Claims Eugenics Works. He’s Wrong.
https://skepchick.org/2020/02/richard-dawkins-claims-eugenics-works-hes-wrong/
> You can’t get a lot of attention by talking about them 280 characters at a
> time on Twitter.

Even though she's using reduction to point out that over-reducers like Dawkins
use the tool for Evil, other over-reducers like Bernie Sanders, use
over-reduction for Good. But tools can be used for Good or Evil. That they're
used for one or the other does not refute the *need* for them. Sometimes things
*must* be over-reduced in order to make some decision and to avoid the implicit
decision of making no decision.

But your larger point is well-taken. Sometimes, the full swath of (high
dimensional) exploratory search is more appropriate than low-dimensional
reducing collectivism of exploitation. But when and how do we force the system
into an anarchist mode of exploration?

--
☣ uǝlƃ