Re: your example, no. (600,1000) is a continuum, which means the conditions at 740 will
be *a lot* like those at 640, 840, etc. [†] "Edge" isn't really jargon. As to
how one knows where the edges are, there's only one answer, and that is to go over it.
Until you *fall* off the edge, you won't really know that you've reached it ... same way
you find the edge of a table, by panning your eyes from the surface to beyond the
surface. Similarly, if you *don't* find the edge, you'll never really know how *big* the
domain is ... or what that other domain on the other side of the edge is like.

In the case of the experiences we're talking about, here, nootropics -- basically
performance enhancing drugs -- are distinguishable from psychedelics. Large doses of
psychedelics are at or beyond most people's "edge", whereas a nootropic simply
makes you feel a little more competent. So, micro-dosing would *not* be exploring the
edge cases. But the kind of experiences Dave's talking about are.

[†] Of course, there are all sorts of different kinds of spaces. Continuum is just one kind. And,
of course, there's dimensionality, where 1 dimension might have an edge, but another doesn't (e.g.
walking near a cliff, with an edge in the up-down but no edge in the side-to-side). And, of course,
there's got to be some "invariant" that provides the *operative* (operational) definition
of the domain. In your example, speed isn't actually the important factor. It might be something
like vibration, harmonics, turbulence, or whatever that makes the plane unstable at some particular
speed. In my example, it's not speed but acceleration that defines the domain. But you don't really
need all this sophistry to understand what "edge" means.