idle thoughts from overlapping reading experience the past two days.

The cop kneeling on George's neck had 18 prior complaints for excessive force
and/or violations of department policy and remained in good standing.  Lots of
writing about similar situations in police departments around the country
including Albuquerque and the shooting of the homeless man a few years back.

Police departments lose credibility because they will not police themselves.
They will not police themselves because they have an institutional culture that
centers on "Us versus Them" and We are the Good Guys, They are the bad guys.
This quickly becomes We can do no wrong. Any apparent error by one of ours must
be excused and rationalized. We cannot admit even the smallest or slightest
error.

Science suffers from a similar problem. Making assertions as if they were
unalloyed accurate and True Facts when they know that the models, the
assumptions, the data (lack of) generate more ambiguity and conclude little
more than probabilities. And they constantly change. But Science remains unable
to admit to error or ambiguity — generating a facade that is just as false as
the "We are always in the right" facade of police departments.

Politicians amplify the problem when they assert, "We will do what "The
Science" tells us" as if "The Science" is clear, absolute, and inerrant.

Do not be surprised when "the people" recognize the reality behind the facade
and, making their own error, dismiss, devalue, or discard Science.

davew

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/