I didn't verify Last's claims either. But it's not the truth or falsity of it
that matters so much as it *triggers* in me an emotional response (the hope
that Trump loses, is indicted, and maybe seeks asylum in Russia to wallow in
rotten offal like Seagal and Depardieu). That's the mechanism of fake news,
even if the news is not fake.

Snowden is a different story. I'm torn.

I generally like your gist that [hol|hier|heter]archy is not a strict
disjunction between top-down, bottom-up, or middle-out, though I almost always
argue for middle-out ... or, at least, start looking where your focus is the
best. In that sense, diffusion limited aggregation strikes me as the best
constructive algorithm for the *-archies. I don't *think* I agree that posets
belong in that category, though. They seem a bit like abstractions, much like
my rejection of Jon's goal-function construct. The accidental, stigmergic,
accumulation of the *-archy can be optimized into a poset. But I don't think
arose as a poset ... but I'm not sure of that. There's something akin to
canalization in posets ... path of least resistance, historical-but-necessary
dependence on past state.

But the idea that corporations are self-organized is dissonant. Keeping my
(tiny) company going all these years (we turn 20 next year!) has been anything
*but* self-organized ... or even organized at all. 8^D It's very much an
extension of my will power, from the state of OR trying to fine me $60k for
claiming my out-of-state contractors were actually employees, to having years
long negotiations collapse because we (apparently) don't use "standard
accounting procedures", it's an *intentional* act at every turn.

Now, a behemoth like Google or Bechtel might have some self-organizing elements
somewhere in the middle scale, where bureacracy meets bureaucracy in the same
corporation. But even there, I'm skeptical. It definitely has that stigmergic
accumulation. But intention/will is ubiquitous in such beasts so that it
doesn't feel like what we mean by "self-organization".

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam