There ought to be some good version of this conversation that juggles both
considerations of precision and questions of good or bad faith.

One of my least-favorite ways to spend a few minutes is by being attached by
one of these people who seem to take their identity from all the ones they can
stand in judgment over, on the ground that I have just used the third-person
English singular pronoun and am therefore a domineering chauvinist.  I wish to
offer such a person to switch into conversing in Bahasa Indonesia, where we can
just use “dia” everywhere, since that language does not use gendered 3rd-person
singulars.  The economists’ convention of substituting “she” everywhere
received English uses “he” also doesn’t seem great, in the sense that one goes
from something that was not “marked” syntactically, and was marked in
pragmatics for those carrying a social upset, to something that becomes
explicitly marked for everybody, and more openly calls out gender than by using
a default.  So one doesn’t escape marking; one just gets to choose whether it
is marked to everybody or only for some people, and how.

The replacement of the 3rd-sg by “they” seems somehow disappointing, in that we
have lost the ability to make gender distinctions if they happen to exist.  One
could here switch the conversation from one of precision to one of good faith,
and go through the corpus of all English locutions, and ask in how many of them
the speaker has any business mentioning gender, even if a definite gender
exists.  If there are few, then the loss of precision is small.

However, it may not be quite as small as one would think if one were only
cataloguing that, in pragmatics, anyone who doesn’t consciously exclude
references to gender has deliberately committed a wrong.  I am aware, because I
spend a lot of time in the company of Filipinos, who grew up speaking a western
Malayo-polynesian language that does not use gendered pronouns, that (a subset
of them) often seem to switch in a quasi-random way between he or she, if there
is one of each in the discourse.  What gets obliterated turns out to be
pronoun-antecedent agreement.  One realizes in these Taglish contexts that
English has come to make use of gender distinctions in dependent clauses, to
refer back to who is the actor and who the acted upon (or lots of other
prepositional relations), by using the extra layer of gender tagging in the
back reference.  I will often be successfully following the thread of a
sentence or conversation, and one of these random-variable pronouns will be
thrown in, at which point suddenly a grammatical trace that I would have done
in Broca without conscious attention goes completely haywire, and I have to go
back to medial prefrontal and the pragmatics of the conversation, to identify
where the dependent clause attaches back into the thread of who had what
relation to whom.  Of course, one can puzzle it all out, but one goes back to
trying to follow sentences at the level one uses in a new language, not a
fluent one.  All that to say, if we do want to abandon gendered 3rd-person
pronouns, there will probably need to be various other adjustments that grow
into the language to lead it away to referential dependencies it got into the
habit of using on such pronouns, over the history in which they have been
available.

On the other hand, though, back to precision, the argument can go either way.
Often I specifically want to refer to a gender-nonspecified third person, the
living equivalent to an “it”.  English makes it impossible for me to do so.  I
have been told that there are many languages in Africa (which probably means,
Bantu), that maintain 12 versions of “we”.  All combinations of the
inclusive/exclusive w.r.t. the listener, as well as gender combinations.  Those
speakers are really in a handicap if they want to make a generic referent.  So
the loss of a generic to a set of specifics can create other imprecisions that
arise constantly.

Clearly these things can drift, and languages adjust around them.
Dutch-Frisian-English have shed much of the gender marking in West Germanic
that German has kept.  North Germanic (the Scandinavians) have shed even more,
as part of that seems like a diversity-reduction in many structures.  Some
typologist somewhere could regale us for hours with all the other little
adjustments that co-occur across the languages, as necessary functions get
relocated in other parts or other levels of grammar or pragmatics.

Eric