Dave sed:
> Neither you, nor 99% of the populace, will be willing to travel via
> fully automated airplane, for three reasons: 1) inability to
> write/produce 100% correct software; 2) pilots are in the cockpit
> (nice sexist name) for those 1 in a million events that are completely
> unpredictable (Scully landing in the Hudson); and 3) airlines will
> have blanket immunity from liability and therefore absent any degree
> of trust.

From the few airline pilots I know, I do believe most cockpit crews are
all but fully redundant to the automated systems, and few of them are
Sullenberger-good or Sullenberger-lucky enough to make a difference in
the increasingly obscure and esoteric "edge cases".  Sure, a
"handsome/beautiful competent-looking" cockpit-crew might give us yet
more confidence that we are not "all gonna die!"  but I think they have
gone beyond redundant in many cases.

Rail (especially sub/elevated city) are already effectively
pilotless/driverless....  once 18 wheelers go driverless, buses will
follow and airlines won't be far behind (IMO).   Humans trust things
they "shouldn't" all the time.

Few if any airliners (I believe) are not fully fly-by-wire... even
mechanically coupled systems of that scale are still *hydraulic*.   The
777 has a hydro-mechanical backup which surely pilots are "fully trained
on", but I'm not sure how many could actually keep their plane in the
air (or land?) under extreme conditions without the myriad aids that
come with digital stabilization, etc.  As per my ramble on learning
"programming" (logic?) from the innards of pinball machines, I
acknowledge that hydraulic-mechanical systems are a little easier to
apprehend by-inspection than those with electronic (and more to the
point digital-electronic) components.

From my (vintage/homebuilt) airplane enthusiast days I also acknowledge
that a feature (most) everyone designs-for and seeks is "fail-safe"
modes where any active component which might fail, has a more robust
fail-state that leaves any pilot *auto or human* some
yet-more-predictable-albeit-constrained-options than not.    From my '49
Luscombe days with a stall-speed of 45mph, I fully agree with Frank's
claim "the landing is the best part of the whole flight!", an not just
because you suddenly feel "safer", though that is a part of it.   It is
one of the more acutely technical moments... trying to arrange to
"stall" just as your wheels are getting good traction, and yet more
"fun" when you add gusty crosswinds.    Liftoff is entirely different,
but attaining enough altitude to feel your reaction time will allow you
to cope with "surprises" is another inflection point.   Flagstaff
airport had a bank of 100' tall ponderosas a hundred yards or more
beyond the runway...   and while it was never close, I always felt I was
going to drag my gear in their tops as I reached that point.   Los
Alamos is just the opposite... just past the runway, the canyon edge
takes you from 100' altitude to 1000' in seconds, a breathtaking feeling
when coupled with up/down-drafts!

Whether we believe in epiphenomena (other thread) or not, "epi-systems"
are rampant in complex engineering like airplane control systems.   Trim
tabs on rudder, stabilizer, aileron, are prime examples.     I suppose
that the term "epiphenomenon" is yet another name for our ignorance and
the approach vector we are on toward it's resolution.   I wonder if the
way our naive attempts to shave off our ignorance with layered
ephiphenomenal models and our more sophisticated attempts to shave off
uncertainty/risk in our engineered systems are not an example of
Guerin's dual-field/bidirectional flood-fill in conceptual space?

> RE: COVID ending by June. The only reason it did not happen is a
> */liberal, anti-Trump, conspiracy/* to suppress the, at last count 30,
> drugs/treatments/aerosols/etc. that would ameliorate the effects (for
> all except those with significant co-morbidity factors) and or
> dramatically decrease the risk of infection getting a toehold. *:)  :)*

It's not too late to stock up on aquarium grade hydroxychloroquine...
it will probably come in handy for the rampant post-apocalyptic malarial
(and other mosquito-borne) plagues that will come with the global
warming we don't believe in, bringing equatorial conditions to a much
wider band of (previously) habitable land.   Canada will build a wall to
keep us in our own S*hole country stewing in our own juices (and make us
pay for it).

I'm on my way for my semi-daily swim at a chlorinated pool where I feel
mildly more safe from the next lane-swimmer's exhalations, knowing that
the air above the surface is enriched with chlorinated water droplets
and any COVID containing sputum they may be flinging during their
frantic swimming is landing on the surface of chlorinated water.   Maybe
Donald was right... we should "look into injecting disinfectants into
our bodies" or at least surrounding ourselves with it.  Maybe
resort-style dining in shallow pools will be in vogue?

For TJ re: forged-in-fire... unlike *most* blacksmiths I know of, I'm
not terribly interested in edged weaponry.  It does represent a
historical driver for highly technical blacksmithing and the results are
in high demand (gun/knife/sword nuts and SCA types) and damascened steel
IS very beautiful, but I'm generally more interested in more
mundane/utilitarian objects.  I honestly don't expect or intend to
*ever* use a well made knife/sword/battle-axe for it's designed intent
(similar to an automatic weapon in that regard).   The most magical
thing I know of, however, is bringing two matched/shaped pieces of
white-hot steel together and watching them magically "become one" with a
single blow (forge-welding).   A little grinding usually reveals whether
the weld is "complete".   Tig/Mig/Gas welding always involves a state
change to liquid and back to solid to achieve the same thing.  The
forge-weld is fascinating in that the surfaces (to some depth) of both
pieces are in some ambiguous transition state between liquid and solid
for the duration of the compression wave going through the materials
from the smith's hammer...   I should probably look more into the
physics behind it, but for now it is pretty much just "magic"!  To add
to the mystery, there is also an interesting "tang" in the air I feel
like I smell when steel is at that precise point and is struck (shaping
OR welding)...   it is at least part, the same odor as blood ... free
iron molecules or iron oxides?

- Steve