What about the systems/software aging/rot/refactoring analogy?  The
similarities seem more *relevant* to the bulk of this group's experience
than, for example, cancer or infectious disease.   Of course, one's
familiarity with the source of an analogy does not make it more apt,
just simultaneously more seductive and *possibly* more illuminating.  Or
perhaps it *is* more apt if/because the mechanisms in source/target
domain are more similar?

I have my own issues with the misuse/abuse of analogy/metaphor
(seemingly orthogonal or or at least complementary Glen's).

While I don't think Marcus' observation is wrong... there ARE people
that are in the way (of various willful intentions) and a share of them
ARE in the government...  but as pithy as it is, it begs myriad questions...

Is the only/primary problem that individual human people can be
wrongheaded/selfish/thoughtless and thereby get in the way of
rightheaded/generous/thoughtful intentions?   And is the "share" of
these people (holding positions?) in the government an over-abundance?
More than found in *any* institution?   Is there a *structural* problem
that comes with the types of organization which we seem to (for possibly
inevitable reasons) create over and over again?   Are these structural
problems addressable with direct solutions (identifying and removing the
offending substructures manually?(re-organization/downsizing)  adjusting
the milieu in which they  exist in a preferential manner to reduce those
structure's viability while allowing/encouraging less obstructionist
structures to flourish? (regulatory environment) ?)

One fundamental problem with the "cancer metaphor" is that it is based
on a "government is alive" metaphor which deserves it's own scrutiny
(though probably not summary dismissal?)

Regarding Dave's reference to the over/misuse of the Nazi trope, I
recently heard someone make the specific point that invoking such
immediately and thoroughly undermined the writer/speakers credibility.
Then they launched into the comparisons, but by pulling back to
"authoritarian gov't, autocrats, autocracies" with Nazi/Hitler
*examples* (and some Stalin and a few others mixed in).   I was left
equally puzzled and impressed with the way that was done, because in
fact, the *image* of Nazi Germany and Hitler are so strong that they can
really power a point home, but using Glen's primary (most
common/notable/persuasive?) argument against metaphor, it almost always
comes with un/mis-intended "excess meaning".   This particular
talk/essay (how is it I cant remember what comes in through my eyes and
what comes in through my ears?) seemed to hit a very good balance in the
number of hairs split to make the point without being misleading.

Is there any obvious resolution/relaxation to the tension between the
elements in socio-political-economic life which provide structure and
continuity and coherence and the individual desire/instinct to avoid all
constraint?    /En Caricature/, the extreme Libertarian seems to pretend
that the can/should/will solve all problems entirely by themselves and
no larger human organizational unit is necessary, desirable or more to
the point, possible.   And on the other caricatured extreme is the
absolute collectivist who would have us all reduce our behaviour,
circumstance and will to that of (analogy alert!) a drone bee or ant or
termite in a hive.

- Steve

PS.  I've been loving watching the Jupiter/Saturn alignment approach
during the very, very brief moment between Sun-set and
Jupiter/Saturn-set... It is so close to MY horizon (Eastern edge of the
Pajarito Plateau) a few degrees above sea-level that I *might* miss
conjunction when it finally happens.

> Thanks for a return to literality. You know what's a cancer? Analogies to
> cancer are a cancer!  >8^D
>

> On December 18, 2020 8:31:24 PM PST, Marcus Daniels <mar...@snoutfarm.com>
> wrote:
>> There are people that are in the way and a share of them are in
>> government.

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/