If really worried about the core heat and you just gotta check your mail
before the repair shop opens, stick the sleeping laptop in the fridge for
half an hour, take it out and check mail for 5 minutes, repeat.  I used
this to good effect with a couple laptops in years past.  But you really
gotta keep usage down to a trickle.  As soon as you can hear the fan
it's time to stop.  Don't repeatedly put a hot laptop next to the egg
salad.   Might want to use a plastic bag if there is a lot of condensation.

BTW, for folks with macs, iStat Menus is a very nice system/temperature
monitoring app.