I think the kind of morality I would find useful would look something like
Wikipedia contributors.   Working away in obscurity for the greater good...

-----Original Message-----
From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> On Behalf Of u?l? ?>$
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 10:46 AM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Moral collapse and state failure

Yes, if you squint. The trick is that both opaque and transparent ML algorithms
are *engineered*. So, rather than intension/extension, a better frame would be
the gen-phen map, forward-inverse map. The opaque boxes are the, probably
irreversible, result of a complicated process. I think information is lost in
that process. So even if you can somewhat reverse engineer how an opaque
algorithm was built, it wouldn't be very accurate.

A better approach would be to interview a bunch of ML people and catalog how
*they* would have created such an opaque model. There's probably an analog of
that in ethology.

On 8/10/21 10:41 AM, thompnicks...@gmail.com wrote:
> I wonder if the interpretable/explainable distinction maps on to the
> goal/function distinction  which maps on to the phenomenon/epi-phenomenon
> distinction which maps on the function spandrel distinction which maps on to
> the intension/extension distinction which .....
>
> Nick Thompson
> thompnicks...@gmail.com
> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

☤>$ uǝlƃ

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam un/subscribe