Dave, btw:

I was too quick with the “but” and passed over the “yes, “ part.

Your characterization of decompiling native competences that operate on many
variables, to bring them under a kind of willed control, was a really helpful
way to express the aims of some of these contemplative projects.  That one will
stay with me.

Eric

> [...]
>> conclusions are the pastimes of trivial minds.  Real Men do anthropology,
>> where nothing is ever closed.  In a lovely rant on what a day in the life of
>> a Real Man is like, a sentence contained a clause I am pretty sure I do have
>> verbatim: “ . . . , juggling hundreds of variables, . . . “.
>>
>> I cannot juggle hundreds of variables, and produce a result that would fail
>> _any_ test for randomness.  I can conceive that maybe there are people smart
>> enough to do that, but cannot imagine any-wise what it would feel like to be
>> one of them.
>>
>> It seems it must be possible in this sense to cling to consistency like a
>> life-raft, yet not elevate it to aa religious icon.  After all, life rafts
>> only keep you alive, and in the big sweep of things, that isn’t _all_ that
>> important.
>>
>> Eric
>>

>>> On Oct 5, 2021, at 11:56 AM, uǝlƃ ☤>$ <geprope...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:geprope...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, I'm perfectly aligned with the freak among freaks sentiment, though
>>> I'd argue we *do* live in that world, we just deny it with our false
>>> beliefs. "The problem with communication is the illusion that it exists."
>>>
>>> But the more important part of the argument surrounds whether consistency,
>>> itself, is a matter of degree or kind. The analog world is full of graded
>>> [in]consistency. You see it a lot with artifacts resulting from welding,
>>> baking, brewing, etc. ... I even saw it often with the level 3 drafting at
>>> lockheed. Any inconsistencies resulting from our designs, the effete
>>> knowledge engineers, were *easily* overcome by the gritty on-the-ground
>>> engineers ... like smoothing out burrs or gluing together pieces that don't
>>> quite fit.
>>>
>>> In the special case of refined, crisply expressed propositions of digital
>>> computation, inconsistency finding becomes a (perhaps the) powerful tool.
>>> Debugging a serial program relies on it fundamentally. But it's softened a
>>> bit in parallel algorithms. Inconsistency is broken up into multiple, yet
>>> still crisp, types (race conditions, deadlocks, etc.). As approach "the
>>> real world" and move away from digital computation, it seems, to my
>>> ignorant eye, that [in]consistency softens more and more. Whether that
>>> softening takes the form of a countable set of types or something denser, I
>>> don't know. But it definitely takes on a different form.
>>>
>>> Discussions like Frank and EricS are having about the stability of a limit
>>> point (never mind the ontological status of that point) get at this nicely.
>>> If you change the frame entirely (e.g. move to position-momentum) and the
>>> "inconsistency" of the singularities *moves* (or disappears entirely), then
>>> a focus on consistency is not as powerful of a tool. The focus becomes one
>>> of which frame expresses the target domain "less inconsistently" ... aka
>>> with fewer exceptions to the rule.
>>>
>>> Yes, I know I've completely abused the word and its normal meaning.

>>> 5/2017 thru present
>>> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&c=E,1,dwZL0XPERidEln6ak4dQwZ2pi8qaqBY_64JWdl_o-CrDSu2V8E0Dy9QaTmHOrVvw3bOxdJwbiUjVsjDceZnYl0NwzUPoDwlOoVOuncTMoNHFBg,,&typo=1
>>>
>>> <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&c=E,1,dwZL0XPERidEln6ak4dQwZ2pi8qaqBY_64JWdl_o-CrDSu2V8E0Dy9QaTmHOrVvw3bOxdJwbiUjVsjDceZnYl0NwzUPoDwlOoVOuncTMoNHFBg,,&typo=1>
>>> 1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/
>>> <http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/>
>>

>> .-- .- -. - / .- -.-. - .. --- -. ..--.. / -.-. --- -. .--- ..- --. .- - .
>> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
>> Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
>> <http://bit.ly/virtualfriam>
>> <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&c=E,1,ZL1vm39n6Qsa8WTV0E4Mv2IXGtSvloAQZteMzlVS9dAqKSmuW1qKcU76V87vaRBbNxQw2leebmocTGFVGaEYNxG0rHIdddxG95Y1bORUep4,&typo=1>
>> archives:
>> 5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
>> <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&c=E,1,pUxvnqqTi91I4q8L9TZeytpo-JpWre04JYF3vPyXv99faBGavRkusqJl42FdfaaDb0fWw_zld6RXg0TA7EmkUMNBY7gcmfRTH-rzGfAsHFd1dT8IBbRq&typo=1>
>> 1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/
>> <http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/>
>>

> .-- .- -. - / .- -.-. - .. --- -. ..--.. / -.-. --- -. .--- ..- --. .- - .
> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
> Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
> <http://bit.ly/virtualfriam>
> un/subscribe
> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&c=E,1,WVyn1pjemhXMljSxsP-NbfGWi8iN_BUv_Z4hqB3Vl41lDJUZ98VqVryH7EocvbPSzseqL9UvYmxYJINYpi88Lo1HHe0bV1662RJmPuiUAeE4IJ8aHvPA&typo=1

> FRIAM-COMIC
> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&c=E,1,UCVcwucRl-MWHRfIP7nauFwcGCxfuIjWgVbgvSvufR4Sq2RrPQlyafs4oenxra2AHOQR14zFcDJBrQ5FTrjqJVy-zca1HSWjPLZ0Ns8E5r7yikK8_tw,&typo=1
>
> <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&c=E,1,UCVcwucRl-MWHRfIP7nauFwcGCxfuIjWgVbgvSvufR4Sq2RrPQlyafs4oenxra2AHOQR14zFcDJBrQ5FTrjqJVy-zca1HSWjPLZ0Ns8E5r7yikK8_tw,&typo=1>
> archives:
> 5/2017 thru present
> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&c=E,1,fX3Jg6L0BnlyxP-XCja6RUFHr4iWXjfjKLX0m6mqtUQN6QPWVKMb_16chPBE5Ij_0C5Z4ecbZRRoiK-mG8udHbCgsuGI1ChNGEKw6tkK&typo=1
>
> <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&c=E,1,fX3Jg6L0BnlyxP-XCja6RUFHr4iWXjfjKLX0m6mqtUQN6QPWVKMb_16chPBE5Ij_0C5Z4ecbZRRoiK-mG8udHbCgsuGI1ChNGEKw6tkK&typo=1>
> 1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/
> <http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/>