In weighing what I've been trying to do by defending fallacious (informal)
reasoning (e.g. when is ad hominem not fallacious), this post makes me wonder
whether I've simply been confused about [in]formality:

Social justice, rationalism, AI ethics, and libertarianism
https://digifesto.com/2021/02/21/social-justice-rationalism-ai-ethics-and-libertarianism/

Therein, Benthall italicizes the phrase "ecological fallacy", which is a *formal*
fallacy. Assuming I understand the difference, Benthall is misusing the term when applying it to
the sloppy natural rhetoric in these non-academic discussions. I would label "assuming that
the actions of a corporation will have the politics of its employees" an informal
composition/division fallacy. That also seems to be the case in these 2 instances:

Inside a Corporate Culture War Stoked by a Crypto C.E.O.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/15/technology/kraken-crypto-culture.html

SpaceX employees fired after writing letter criticizing Elon Musk
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jun/17/spacex-employees-fired-after-writing-letter-criticizing-elon-musk

But I can't quite muster up the confidence to accuse Benthall of being wrong;
because in my hand-wringing about defending slippery slope arguments [⛧],
perhaps what I'm actually trying to do is [semi]formalize the informal. I
suppose to do this properly, I'd have to get a healthy sample of [in]formal
fallacies and map them out, see which one's have credible counterparts and
which ones don't. That'll allow me to wax full Lazy and never mention this
stuff again. Any swats with the clue stick would be welcome.

[⛧] While I appreciate Volokh's work
<https://reason.com/volokh/2022/06/17/slippery-slope-arguments-in-history-some-arguments-from-the-left/>,
 I'd just like to point out that I've been defending the use of informal fallacies
here on this list for years ... just sayin'. Sure, he may be smarter than me ... and
have degrees and whatnot. Pffft. Whatever, dude. Don't break your arm.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam