I tend to think Eco got this (nearly) right:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitions_of_fascism#Umberto_Eco

Fascism is a very large gravity well, i.e. a high-dimensional space of trajectories into the well.
This is why I've had trouble with those who identify "corporatism" and "state
communism" as a key element to fascism. It's not a matter of the (or any) aggregative entity
like multinational corps or unipolar hegemonic states. It's a matter of something like entropy.
Freedom and equivalence are fragile out of equilibrium states that have to be persnicketively
maintained. Fascism is an equilibrium state always ready and waiting for us to lose diligence.

So, it's not a matter of too little state interference in the economy, or too
little multinational corporation interference in the economy, or whatever such.
You can get to fascism with all/any of those circumstances.

I suppose what we're after is an *automatic* high-dimensional
controller/regulator, with higher *expressive* complexity than the thing being
controlled. The trick is whether the plectic hypothesis holds: that high
expressive complexity can be achieved with low foundational complexity. And if
so, what foundation produces the expressive complexity that maintains the out
of equilibrium states we want?