The Pruitt stink lingers on
https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2022/07/14/the-pruitt-stink-lingers-on/

When considering whether or not Jon *is* his fist or is not his fist, it brings to mind
discussions of the opacity of research results (including theorems with complicated
proofs) and includes writers like Wolfram (and sometimes Kauffman) who may not be
rigorous about citing where they got their ideas from. When we "stand on the
shoulders of giants", we have to consider the replacability of those shoulders or
the Jenga-like scaffolding around any 1 such set of shoulders. I suppose the best example
is the crisis in psych research. But it expands out into [mis|dis|mal]information, in
general.

In both development and science "parasitism" is largely good. "Don't reinvent the
wheel", Findability,
Accessibility, Interoperability, Reusability, etc. are values and principles to be proud
of. But it also brings to mind accusations of contrarianism or antagonism lobbed at those
of us who are persnickety about wording and claims made. If, say, you're on a team of 10
people trying to collaboratively develop some thing, and one of them is constantly
complaining about the way something's said or done, they get the
"obstructionist" label, slowing the work, pissing everyone off, etc. Never mind
assholery like aggressive NDAs, SLAPP suits, etc. Even down in the weeds, where everyone
is basically operating in good faith and maintains healthy relationships, transparency
and parasitism are difficult pragmas to permit.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam