Gang,

Ok, so I had a few moments to look into it and discovered that I am precisely
and absolutely wrong.  Egregiously so.  This is exactly, classically,  a roll
cloud … “arcus”.

They are different from “shelf” and “wall” clouds in that they are not
necessarily near thunderstorms.  Shelf clouds are quite common and form at the
downdraft front of a thunderstorm where it passes by  the updraft.  In MA,
almost every summer thunderstorm has one.  They seem to have a structure very
similar to this roll cloud (hence my confusion).   What is striking about roll
clouds is that they seem to progress through an otherwise stable atmosphere.

I am not in NM in the summer, so I don’t know how common roll clouds are here,
but because of the very low humidity, on NM radar in the summer you can often
see downdraft gust fronts propagating outward  from thunderstorms for miles as
faint lines encircling the former location of a long-dead parent storm.   A bit
like “fairy rings” <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_ring>  of mushrooms.
Where a gust front encounters potentially UN-stable air, it often initiates
another thunderstorm.

The other similar phenomenon is a derecho
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_derecho_events> .   I have no idea how
these work, but they are gust fronts that propagate across enormous distances.
One famous one a few years back took out electricity, trees, etc. all the way
from Iowa to DC.  Is a derecho just a very nasty roll cloud?  Dunno.  I think I
am not the only person to be confused about the distinction between a derecho,
a shelf cloud, and a roll cloud.  Just excupatin’

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:thompnicks...@gmail.com> thompnicks...@gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/>