Instead of digging into the guts of Excel with Visual Basic, I think
it would be about as easy (and maybe more fun) to import the
spreadsheet into a database that you could query. If I were to take a
first crack at it, I would first export the Excel file to a comma
separated values file (CSV file). Then install MySQL and MySQL
Workbench. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a Workbench option to
import a CSV file as a new table in the current database. Then you
could write plain SQL queries to look for the data you want, or go as
far as writing some Java code using JDBC to do the queries.

Or instead of MySQL and Workbench, you could try LibreOffice Base (the
database component) to accomplish the same thing. This would be the
open source equivalent of using Microsoft Access.

All this from memory and speculation, of course (isn't that what us
FRIAM'ers are best at?)..

Gary