OK... who will take on the job of training chatGPT with the top dozen FriAM characters and subscribing these digital doppelganger/shadow-selves to the list to weigh in every time their human counterpart is too slow to throw their hat in the ring?   Sounds like a job for Dr. StrangeCartoonLove?   I suppose he/she could be replaced by DAL-E in his/her day-job?

On my first published paper (1984) I had an excruciatingly large amount of help with the grammatical construction from a professional hired to work with every scientist and engineer at LANL to guarantee a certain level of consistency and quality.   I was able to win over the writer/editor pretty quickly to an awareness that my own style and grammar was "good enough" without more than some proofing/tweaking from her, but I was totally shocked at the level of "help" she was used to providing the older, more senior folks we worked with.   That level of support went away within a few years and the quality of the "average" paper went downhill pretty fast.

Much later I found myself publishing with others who had strong ideas about the construction and stylization of papers and I found myself giving over to that, mostly by letting them write the first draft and then working hard to replace any placeholder text they might have provided for my own contribution in the style of their original and to shape their portions to be more comfortable to my sensibilities without changing the semantics underneath the syntax and vocabulary we were converging on.

This is not the same as what chatGPT does but I wonder if it couldn't be trained/configured to provide the same style of support/collaboration in a positive, meaningful way rather than in the implied snarky way we all imagine it being used by slackers and lo(abu)sers to avoid and cheat the system or peers, or both?

Richard Gabriel was here a few weeks ago and gave a WedTech talk on his InkWell project <https://usesthis.com/interviews/richard.gabriel/> which he made a point to describe as a "writing assistant" and a "collaborator"...