My head is too fuzzy right now (inside as well as out) to conjure the details, but when Descartes launched I think I knew some of the LANL crew from the Visual Cortex Modeling efforts (LANL and NM Institute) and believe that the intellectual/algorithmic legacy included the GENIE <https://www.fastcompany.com/3045076/just-your-typical-new-mexico-image-recognition-startup-spun-off-from-a-governm> "image segmentation-by-example" algorithms/software developed in the 90s which I think of as an alpha/proto-typing of the kind of machine learning that DALL-E and other image-based generators are based in.

I've a young (well, 40ish now) friend who worked at a SFe startup on the same kind of technology which got gobbled up by a middle-sized fish out of Denver which got gobbled by Monsanto (about the time Descartes was spinning up?).  She stayed on with Monsanto for several years (under some shame/duress) but finally managed to jump ship to an open-data space-imaging company (whose name eludes my fuzzy head).   When she was still in her undergrad (Hydrogeology) I talked with her about GENIE and it's potential for more virtuous projects (like helping the Nature Conservancy with planning for the arc-of-evolution of micro-climates to help them prioritize their acquisitions).  My guess is that this is an easy no-brainer for such planning, even if we in fact have no financial motive for such.

This came back to me a lot while reading Kim Stanley Robinson's "Ministry for the Future" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ministry_for_the_Future> and thinking about how much bias we (normally) have toward using science/engineering/tech to leverage exploitation (good of the few) vs leveraging regulation unto conservation (good of the many)?

After we get done generating silly NFT artpieces and cheating on our term papers with ChatGPT will we find a way to apply this technology to a virtuous exploration of the adjacent possible? What would that look like?   What means "virtuous"?  Does ChatGPT have a (consensus?  popular?) notion of what IS virtuous?