I think your earlier, bad-faith account, was in the right direction, though
each of your last three notes has had a structure I like and take seriously.
(Hard to decide what I think of, or whether I agree with, anything at this
point.)

But if I look at the 3-way dialogue among Thomas, the Federalists, and Cannon,
the structure I think I see is this:

1. One of the very useful things Shubik commented to me early in our working
relationship — obvious in hindsight, but there are all sorts of obvious things
I never think of until somebody tells me — is that laws are inevitably finite
and thus inescapably coarse-grained.  This is the problem of induction, control
systems with finite variety, etc.  Meanwhile, experiences are extendable
without limit and indefinitely variegated.  So the essential and unavoidable
work needed from judges and litigators is, for each case, to get to some
decision of how it can be categorized within and responded to from laws, more
or less in their spirit.

2. Thomas’s gambit is the equivalent of one of my nieces when she was young — a
child who knew she could drive any person past all limits of patience, and did
so at every chance — putting her fingers into hear ears and saying loudly
blah-blah-blah-I-can’t-hear-you.  Thomas’s rulings (when they arrive at one of
the insurrectionist positions he wants to support) have the structure that any
law can be ignored if one can find some detail of the particular case that was
not written explicitly into the text of that law.  This is a general-purpose
deconstructionist tactic that has nothing to do with any specific law or any
specific case, and can just be used to ignore any law in any case if that is
the wanted outcome.

2a.  2 is flatly a nonsense position.  But the only thing that can assert that
it is a nonsense position is a notion of “legitimacy”.  Because all this is in
the non-robotic dimension of human social behavior.  Hence if legitimacy is
jettisoned, all subsequent discussion is just performative, while the substance
is in the fight over who can be holding power at the end.

3. The Federalist Society supports these warrens of little legals and
paralegals to come up with Gish Gallops of footnotes or other details that can
be slotted into Thomas-like arguments.  I figure GPT could be programmed to do
this — a job it is perfectly suited to — and put them all out of business on
the spot.  But for now it is people doing it.  Those Gallops get sent to
various judges for “notarizing” — aka delivered as “the judge’s” “ruling”.

4. I would like the investigative journalists to find where the rulings Cannon
is notarizing came from.  They look so fine-grained and frivolous, it seems
unlikely that just she and her staff could have come up with them.  Seems like
it would require a bigger factory.

But all this is then within the category of the “anything from an absurdity”.
Since the Thomas Gambit can be used to nullify any law, all the action then
goes to whether the ones using it happen to want to nullify the applicability
of law to some case, or whether it serves their ends to apply the law in
something like the normal way.  But that then becomes sort of the Russian
system, or Duterte’s system, or any dictator's.

Back to the Roberts court, the things I have seen written that seem most cogent
to me argue that their one consistent tack is to aggregate power to their
specific selves.  There are these nonsense rulings, which are vague or
inconsistent, and honest lower courts often cannot figure out whether or how to
comply with them.  (There was just one of these, I think the Domestic Abuser
with a Gun case, along exactly this line, a month or two ago.  Rahimi?)  And
once it is a mess of appeals in the lower courts, it can get back to SC, who
can then make up whatever outcome they want for that case.  It gets very close
to trolling for Roberts to write condescendingly that the lower courts were
“confused” by the SC’s ruling; in fact they had it dead to rights, and Roberts
surely isn’t so dumb he doesn’t know that.  So to act as if they have made the
mistake is to put out loud what the game is.  It’s like Gaetz’s text about
“Cannon for Supreme Court” or whatever it was.  Trolls gonna troll.  @The
cruelty is the point.  It’s about the assertion of domination, once you think
you have enough of a lock that your advantage is to get out of the “hiding”
phase and go into the “demoralizing” phase.

So I don’t know that there really is new “law” power in the Monarchical
Executive.  There may or may not be, but the SC would like to make itself
indispensible in operating that machinery.

But I don’t know.  I don’t do this for a living.

Eric

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam