Everyone knows I'm not a scholar. But it certainly appears that judges are (and have been for a while)
considered "triers of fact", at least when a jury's not available.  Of course, what they really
mean is something more akin to Jon's pursuit of models (or whatever it is I *think* Jon's doing 8^D). What
the judge (or jury) ends up doing is choosing the perspective/facet/frame/model for whatever
blame/consequences should ensue. Whether that perspective is unitary (like the modernists, monists,
universal-logic advocates, etc. would have us believe) or not may be a bit untethered. But "fact"
in this language refers to an attempt at parallax and to land on the "largest model" or perhaps the
most fit-to-purpose model of the given scoped context.

But Justices (vaguely referring to judges in "higher" courts) might be another matter. It seems to me like
it's their job to reconcile "lower" courts' frame selections ... to unify all the frames into the One True
Frame, maybe analogous to physical GUTs. To my mind, the Justices would be even less tethered than the judges. Justices
are metadata peddlers, always yapping on about (often falsely ... "biasedly"?) *derived* data, almost never
about the "raw" data of some given context.

As we realized with software awhile back, there is no difference between data
and code ... between the facts and the law. Law is fact and fact is law. To
separate the two naively can be problematic.