A belief later espoused by the Unabomber.

My "Gaia Shrugs more Bigly" may well be me channeling ole Kaczynski hisself.  I think Wilson's quote was in his 2000ish "Conscilience"?  I don't know if K made a similar observation?  I did read his manifesto back in the day but it is long integrated into my (weakly) associative memory (tinyLLM?).

<For whomever might care or remember>

At LAN(S)L the mailroom/system ramped up their worries that the Unabomber might (obviously?) target one of us...  I think it was triggered by the first death (1985) he caused?   This lasted about a year, and then the Cold war had thawed, the Iron Curtain fallen, and USSR disbanded (sortof) and all their Nukes were called home.

It did lead to a lot of discussion (both in 85 and 95) about the various orders or hierarchies of presumed moral responsibility/implications around the work we did (ranging from presumably fundamentally ?purely? humanitarian through variations on mundane to the variations on acutely inhumane (EWPs, EMPs, Davy Crockett, etc).

This was not a new conversation (e.g. Oppenheimer, et al vs Teller et al, etc) and it spread from "might we ignite the atmosphere?" to "gray goo" and bioterror speculations.  I was proud that (at least) a few Weapon's Designers/Cold Warriors starting with Oppy, continuing with Agnew and Hecker unto Pedecini.   I'm far from current (well over a decade... dunno if anyone is chatting this up inside LANL anymore?)

Re: Kaczynski:  I often forget how close we live to Florence ADX Supermax until I drive that route to/from Denver which reminds me of the myriad ?terrorists/criminals/psychopaths? (homegrown and imported) we've experienced in my adulthood.

   *ADX Florence* (also known as the *United States Penitentiary,
   Administrative Maximum Facility* or "Supermax") in *Florence,
   Colorado*, is a high-security federal prison that houses some of the
   most notorious and dangerous criminals in the U.S. The facility is
   known for its extreme security measures and solitary confinement
   practices.

   Here are some of the more notable inmates who are housed at ADX
   Florence who have variously used mail, shoes, underwear, rental
   trucks, and airliners to bomb their targets somewhat unconcerned
   about collateral:

             *1. Ted Kaczynski (The Unabomber)*:

         * *Crime*: A former mathematician and domestic terrorist
           responsible for a nationwide bombing campaign between 1978
           and 1995, which killed three people and injured 23.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment without parole (since 1998).

             *2. Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán*:

         * *Crime*: The infamous Mexican drug lord and former leader of
           the *Sinaloa Cartel*, one of the most powerful drug
           trafficking organizations in the world.
         * *Notoriety*: Known for his daring prison escapes in Mexico
           and his role in drug-related violence. He was extradited to
           the U.S. in 2017, convicted in 2019, and sentenced to life
           in prison.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment plus 30 years (since 2019).

             *3. Ramzi Yousef*:

         * *Crime*: The mastermind behind the *1993 World Trade Center
           bombing*, which killed six people and injured over 1,000.
         * *Other Notable Acts*: He was also involved in the *Bojinka
           Plot*, a plan to bomb multiple airliners.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment plus 240 years (since 1998).

             *4. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev*:

         * *Crime*: One of the perpetrators of the *2013 Boston
           Marathon bombing*, which killed three people and injured
           over 260 others.
         * *Status*: Initially sentenced to death in 2015, though there
           have been legal challenges and appeals regarding the sentence.
         * *Sentence*: Currently sentenced to death, pending appeals.

             *5. Richard Reid (The "Shoe Bomber")*:

         * *Crime*: Reid attempted to detonate explosives hidden in his
           shoes during a *2001 American Airlines flight* from Paris to
           Miami.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment without the possibility of
           parole (since 2003).

             *6. Zacarias Moussaoui*:

         * *Crime*: Convicted for his role in the *9/11 attacks*,
           though he was not one of the hijackers. He was found guilty
           of conspiring with al-Qaeda to commit terrorism.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment without parole (since 2006).

             *7. Robert Hanssen*:

         * *Crime*: A former FBI agent convicted of *spying for the
           Soviet Union and Russia* for more than two decades. His
           actions are considered one of the worst intelligence
           breaches in U.S. history.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment without parole (since 2002).

             *8. Terry Nichols*:

         * *Crime*: An accomplice in the *1995 Oklahoma City bombing*,
           which killed 168 people and injured hundreds. The attack was
           the deadliest act of domestic terrorism in U.S. history at
           the time.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment without parole (since 1997).

             *9. Eric Rudolph*:

         * *Crime*: The perpetrator of the *1996 Centennial Olympic
           Park bombing* in Atlanta, which killed two people and
           injured more than 100. Rudolph was also responsible for
           bombing abortion clinics and a gay nightclub.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment without parole (since 2005).

             *10. Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab (The "Underwear Bomber")*:

         * *Crime*: Abdulmutallab attempted to detonate an explosive
           device hidden in his underwear during a *2009 flight to
           Detroit*.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment without parole (since 2012).

             *11. Mutulu Shakur*:

         * *Crime*: A former member of the *Black Liberation Army* and
           stepfather of rapper *Tupac Shakur*, he was convicted for
           his role in a series of armed robberies in the 1980s,
           including the *Brinks armored truck robbery*, which left two
           police officers and a guard dead.
         * *Sentence*: 60 years, released on parole in 2022.

             *12. Michael Swango*:

         * *Crime*: A former doctor and serial killer who was convicted
           of poisoning patients and colleagues.
         * *Sentence*: Life imprisonment without parole (since 2000).

And let's not forget Woody Harrelson's Father, the gangland hitman extra-ordinaire ?

I believe we have our own (near) Weatherman in house?