On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

>> The interpreter internally translates 'x=y' to 'equation(x,y)' so try this:
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> ---rhxBEGIN newop.spad
>> )abbrev domain MYINT MyInt
>> MyInt(): Join(IntegerNumberSystem, ConvertibleTo String, OpenMath,_
>>     Canonical, canonicalsClosed) with
>>   equation: (%, %) -> %
>>  == Integer add
>>   equation((x:%) , (y:%)):% == x - y
>> ---rhxEND newop.spad
>
> OK, that might be a workaround for now, but you probably agree that this
> is an interpreter bug. In my case there is a function "=: (%, %) -> %"
> around so the interpreter should rather pick this instead of translating
> = to equation in the first place. No?

I am not sure. i think the problem is that there is no good design in
Axiom/FriCAS for the use boolean operators versus symbolic boolean
expressions/relations such as equations and inequalities. The
interpreter wants = to be symbolic but it is not consistent since
other operators such as < and > or even ~= are not treated this way.
The Equation domain exports a coercion

  coerce : % -> Boolean if S has SETCAT

 (really should be 'eval' !) which evaluates the relation using = from
SetCategory.  In the library = is (almost) always treated in the same
way as > and <, i.e. as functions that return a boolean value. So I
guess one could say that this is a typical kind of interpreter hack.

> Or is "=" in FriCAS just to be considered as syntactic sugar for
> "equation"? Cannot be try, since there is also =:(%,%)->Boolean.

See above.

> Maybe only people like me add signatures like "=: (%, %) -> %", so it is
> not too important, but I would count that behaviour as a bug.

As I said, I think it is more of a design bug.  I know Gaby has
started to do some work in OpenAxiom to straighten this out but I
think it would be worthwhile to discuss it further.  I did spend some
time thinking about inequalities a few months ago:

http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/SandBoxInequation
http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/SandBoxEquation

Comments?

Regards,