kfp wrote:

> On the occasion of a new release I wonder if there is a remedy for the
> following minor flaw:
>
>  $ fricas -nosman
> Checking for foreign routines
> AXIOM="/opt/fricas/lib/fricas/target/i686-pc-cygwin"
> spad-lib="/opt/fricas/lib/fricas/target/i686-pc-cygwin/lib/libspad.so"
> foreign routines found
> openServer result -2
>                        FriCAS Computer Algebra System
>                             Version: FriCAS 1.2.3
>                   Timestamp: Wed, May 07, 2014  3:39:04 PM
>    Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
>    Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
>    Issue )quit to leave FriCAS and return to shell.
>
> (1) -> f(1) == 1
>                                                                    Type:
> Void
> (2) -> f(x) == x*f(x-1)
>                                                                    Type:
> Void
> (3) -> f(8)
>    Compiling function f with type Integer -> Integer
>    Compiling function f as a recurrence relation.
>
>    (3)  40320
>                                                         Type:
> PositiveInteger
> (4) -> f(n)
>    Compiling function f with type Polynomial(Integer) -> Polynomial(
>       Integer)
>    Compiling function f with type Polynomial(Integer) -> Polynomial(
>       Integer)
>    Compiling function f with type Variable(n) -> Polynomial(Integer)
>
> *** - Lisp stack overflow. RESET
>
> [/usr/src/clisp/clisp-2.48-3/src/clisp-2.48/src/eval.d:573] reset() found
> no driver frame (sp=0x133abe0-0x1334e90)
> Floating point exception (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

<snip>
> I assume it's CLISP that can't handle the case? It would be desirable to
> avoid such a  ''crash'.

What you consider "the flaw"?  Do you mean that clisp on Cygwin can
not recover from stack overflow?  We probably can not solve this.
Recovery from stack overflow is done by Lisp implementation
and fixing the problem means fixing Lisp implementation.

> I find it strange that it occurs even when f is
> fully declared (.e.g. PositiveInteger).

When 'f' is fully declared I get:

   Compiling function f with type PositiveInteger -> PositiveInteger
   Conversion failed in the compiled user function f .

   Cannot convert the value from type Symbol to PositiveInteger .

that is FriCAS rejects 'f(n)' as type error.

hebi...@math.uni.wroc.pl