Sorry for being interfering, but I suppose there is some
misunderstanding which also puzzles me by now. IMO both of you are right
depending on the view. I believe that one point of confusion stems from
the intepretation of x:T as x \in T (which I also find attractive by the
way). However, FriCAS seems to have a different attitude to this:

(1) -> x:INT ; y:INT ; x+y

   x is declared as being in Integer but has not been given a value.
(1) -> X:EXPR INT ; Y:EXPR INT ; X+Y

   (1)  X + Y

Type:Expression(Integer)

(2) -> U:EXPR COMPLEX INT ; V:EXPR COMPLEX INT ; U*V

   (2)  U V
                                           Type:Expression(Complex(Integer))

Since INT is a ring one might expect to have z:=x+y evaluated of type
INT and if later setting x:=1, z evaluates to 1+y. This would be
consistent with the ring axioms. This is not the case even in  EXPR INT:

(1) -> X:EXPR INT ; Y:EXPR INT ; Z:=X+Y

   (1)  Y + X
                                                    Type:Expression(Integer)

(2) -> X:=1::EXPR INT ; Z

   (2)  Y + X
                                                    Type:Expression(Integer)

(3) -> X

   (3)  1
                                                    Type:Expression(Integer)

(4) -> ZZ:=X+Y

   (4)  Y + 1
                                                    Type:Expression(Integer)

Thus, although EXPR INT and EXPR COMPLEX INT behave in some way like R
and C respectively it is certainly inconsistent in the interpretation
mentioned at the beginning - from a logical point of view. I think that
the EXPR domain is merely a catchement basin to do symbolic
manipulations as many untyped CASs do. Coming to the point, I'm
speculating that there is some misconception between functions and
values on the one hand and between types and mathematical structures on
the other hand (see the sequence below).

(1) -> typeOf(sin)

   (1)  Variable(sin)
                                                                   Type:
Type

(2) -> typeOf('sin)

   (2)  Variable(sin)
                                                                   Type:
Type

(3) -> f:INT -> INT
                                                                   Type:
Void

(4) -> typeOf(f)

   (4)  (Integer -> Integer)
                                                                   Type:
Type

(5) -> typeOf(sin(x))

   (5)  Expression(Integer)
                                                                   Type:
Type

That means (IMHO) an operation 'conjugate' or 'involution' or whatever
can only be defined in a satisfactory way if it's clear what is the
domain of definition and what is the range, thus z:C and f:C->C are not
only different types but also conceiving very different mathematical
structures. And here I slightly disagree with Bill:

> People try to do the opposite: They try to encode algebraic problems
> as logical ones (i.e. automatic theorem proving) but this has not lead
> to practical systems.

Logic is inherent, surely in many disguises (equational logic in algebra
for example), but how would you solve my initial problem (which
triggered my interest for this): given an equation x^2+y^2+z^2=1, get
FriCAS to provide an atlas automatically (polar coords excluded, no
magic ;). Clearly, one chart z(x,y)=sqrt(1-x^2-y^2) is easily
calculated, but how would you explain the domain of definition, openess
and so on without predicate logic? You might answer by dis/conjunction
of types as S.Thompson once proposed, however, that's logic too, even
HOL, and practically I'd be scared to compute an atlas of an algebraic
manifold by the help of type inference.
That's why I'm going to try an ATP (automatic theorem prover) in FriCAS,
called SNARK which might do the unpleasant inferences in the background.
By the way it's already (a little) working ...
https://bitbucket.org/kfp/snark.

Kurt