On 19/09/16 12:00, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
I can only speak for firefox, but you should note that forging a http
connection is easier than forging a https connection.

If you allow Firefox to do an exception for the above site (note that
you don't need to accept that exception "permanently" -- deselect the
checkbox), it means that you connect to the site in an encrytped way. So
the connection to the target site is encrypted, the only thing that you
don't know is that the site is the site it claims to be and that nobody
has led you to a wrong site. With http, you neither have encryption nor
can you be sure that someone led you to the wrong site.

As I see it, this sites certificate simply has expired. So it would
probably be a good thing to tell thit to the webmaster of
www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr.

As long as you trust that the .pdf does not have a virus, I think, it's
not a problem if one trusts "self-signed certificates". Although
nowadays people should probably switch to "Let's encrypt"-certificates.
https://letsencrypt.org/

Ralf

OK, thanks, I'll do that.