Hello Martin

> Hi Kurt,
>
> In simpler terms: PermutationGroup and GroupPresentation are never going to
> implement the category 'Group' because in PermutationGroup and
> GroupPresentation
> % represents the whole group whereas in Group % represents an element of the
> group.

Indeed. Since PermutationGroup is a list of permutations (Permutation) it's
obviously not a group -- the suffix is misleading. At least we have

Permutation(Integer) has Group => true,

as it should be. Apparently the word problem for permutation groups can be
solved by the routines in permgrps.

> However, we could implement category 'Group' by having a domain called 'Word'
> (over Symbols or Permutations) where the multiplication operation is the
> concatenation of words with simplification given by the relations.

That's what had I in mind. I erroneously assumed that your "GroupPresentation"
implements a group in the literallly sense, e.g. to get answers to queries like
a*b^2=b*a^2?
If you inherit from Group then you will get *,1,inv for free. So the domain
"Word" will actually be a group.

> It seems to me that such a proposed domain would help simplify existing and
> proposed code as follows:
>
> 1) Tidy up some of the local functions in PermutationGroup which work with
> words
> in an ad hoc and messy way.
> 2) Would simplify my conversion from PermutationGroup to GroupPresentation
> which
> uses words.
> 3) Be a basis for examples such as LyndonWord

That would undoubtedly be useful. On the other hand, if you implement
(faithfully) GroupPresentation <--> PermutationGroup then we'll have the same
functionality - in disguise though. I admit that I like the symbolic
representation with equations much more than using NNI for fp groups, but that's
a matter of taste.