Am 15.11.2016 um 05:59 schrieb oldk1331:
>> How about using List of EXPR as Rep?
>
> Second thought, it will not work, polynomial will still be expanded.
>
>> On the other hand, probably carrying it too far, one might use OutputForm
>> which
>> is very expressive and greatest possible "symbolic", if only there were a way
>> back ;)
>
> Yes, something between OutputForm and Expression: it will keep the similarity
> of its input form and have semantic to perform various operations.
>
> I wonder how other CASs choose expression's representation, I'll investigate
> when I have more time.

I'm aware of essentially two methods and their mixing: kernels and standard
forms vs. term rewriting. Typical representatives of the former are the lisp
based CAS (e.g. REDUCE) whereas YACAS (http://www.yacas.org/) is one of the
latter. Maybe you'll find some others, especially regarding the "black boxes"
I've not the faintest idea.