On 04/21/2017 09:04 PM, Doug Telford wrote:
> 1. Is there documentaion about using aldor under fricas?

Unfortunately, the answer is more or less: no.

> How much of the aldor user's guide is applicable?

Aldor is a programming language. It comes with basically 3 libraries.

1) axllib
2) libaldor
3) libalgebra

where actually libalgebra is built on top of libaldor.

When you use Aldor under FriCAS, then it basically is as if you use yet
another library (which is called "axiom" -- maybe we should rename that
to "fricas")

In this sense, everything in the Aldor User Guide that is not referring
to a library, is applicable, i.e., the language description itself.

When you use Aldor with FriCAS, you can look at

  http://fricas.github.io/api/index.html

to find out about the function/domains/categories/packages that are
available.

However, there is one big difference: you can use Aldor only to "extend"
what is already in FriCAS and you can use your programs only in a FriCAS
session but never as standalone programs.

> 2. I tried to run the example program sieve.as under fricas.  The
> program contains the function sieve and calls to sieve.  Not clear
> how to execute the progam. Is aldor under fricas only applicable to
> functions?

Simply type inside a fricas session:

)compile sieve.as

for i in 1..6 repeat ( _
        n := 10^i; _
        outputList ["There are ", sieve n, " primes <= ", n] _
    )

The following site needs some update... :-(

http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/SandBoxAldorSieve

Maybe more tomorrow...

Ralf