Hi, thanks for the feedback.

[Bill]> Although this terminology is used in a few places,

"... a few places"? Well, I would say "almost everywhere": Jenks Sutor vol 0,
hyperdoc, fricasUG, mathaction ...

[Bill]>I do not think it
[Bill]> is correct to call == delayed assignment. Rather it only represents
[Bill]> kind of function definition via matching (which granted, does involve
[Bill]> some form of delayed assignment). More specifically in the interpreter
[Bill]> == defines a "rule". In the case of ==, : is an operator like any
[Bill]> other. E.g.

I see your point of view. This sheds more light also on T3(f(x)) == ... in [1]

A mystery is that according to the interpreter messages there are "interpreter functions"
and "interpreter rules", so one might wonder if there are different, undocumented
syntaxes and semantics:

(1) ->  z == 1
                                                                   Type: Void
(2) -> x + y == 5 -x + 10 *y
                                                                   Type: Void
(3) -> )display properties + z
Properties of + :
   This is an interpreter function.
   Definition:   + (x, y) == 5 - x + 10 y
Properties of z :
   This is an interpreter rule.

... I'm starting to believe that the only way for a user to grasp how the
interpreter works in many cases is to (learn boot & lisp and) read the source
files ... quite time consuming task ... sigh ...

I'm also disturbed by the fact that a (fool) user can happily hide a library
operation like +. I would have preferred to be obliged to write something like

IAmNotInsaneAndIReallyWantToRedefine(_+)

before being able to redefine.

[ric]> (2) -> y:Integer == 1

[Oldk1331]> This is a strange way to input in FriCAS, it actually defined a
rule for ':'

Well, I had the (unwise) idea of approaching FriCAS by first reading the whole
AldorUG, so my test was Aldor-inspired [1]

regards
riccardo

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/fricas-devel@googlegroups.com/msg12354.html
[2] http://www.aldor.org/docs/HTML/chap5.html#3