On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 8:35 AM Waldek Hebisch <hebi...@math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:

> > earlier patch.  Here is a revised patch that corrects this problem.
> > (Only one additional change at the  beginning.)
>
> I have tried:
>
> h3 := x*y*z - x*z*y + z*x*y - z*y*x + y*z*x - y*x*z
> factor(h3*h3)
>
> and after about hour I did not get answer.

Yes. This is a good example where the heuristic fails.

> Since nobody seems to be interested in coding Davenport method
> I did that.  At
>
> http://www.math.uni.wroc.pl/~hebisch/fricas/dcfact.input
> http://www.math.uni.wroc.pl/~hebisch/fricas/nc_ini04b.input
>
> dcfact.input is actual routine.  nc_ini04b.input defines needed
> types.  With that things like
>
> h2 := x*y - y*x
> homo_fact(h2*h3*h2*h3*h2)
>
> work.

Thanks, that is very nice. And it is impressively fast on all the
examples I tried. However it did find this example where homo_fact
fails to find a factorization:

(110) -> factor((x^2-1)^2)

   (110)  [1 - x, 1 - x, 1 + x, 1 + x]
Type:
List(XDistributedPolynomial(OrderedVariableList([x,y,z,w,x1,x2,x3,x4,x5]),Integer))
                                       Time: 0.44 (EV) + 0.01 (OT) = 0.45 sec
(111) -> homo_fact((x^2-1)^2)

                  2    4
   (111)  [1 - 2 x  + x ]
Type:
List(XDistributedPolynomial(OrderedVariableList([x,y,z,w,x1,x2,x3,x4,x5]),Integer))
                                       Time: 0.00 (IN) + 0.00 (OT) = 0.00 sec

--

It is also interesting to compare the results obtained by Konrad
Schrempf's algorithm. (Start with 'nc_ini14.input' from the ncpoly